Florida Man Dies After Electronic Cigarette Blows Up in His Mouth

  • Florida Man Dies After Electronic Cigarette Blows Up in His Mouth

Florida Man Dies After Electronic Cigarette Blows Up in His Mouth

- The autopsy report for a man whose vape pen exploded, causing a fire in his St. Petersburg home, shows the exploding pen - not the fire - killed him. Firefighters found extensive fire damage in D'Elia's bedroom, where his body was discovered, but minimal smoke, the report said. However according to the Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner's report, the official cause of death is due to a "projectile wound of head", which presumably were from the shrapnel from his vape when it exploded.

The report lists the cause of death as "projectile wound of the head".

Furthermore, following the incident, authorities found his body inside the home that was on fire, which suffered about 80% of thermal injuries to his chest, shoulder, abdomen, back and arm and hand.

Smok-E Mountain Mech Works contests that its e-cigarette product was the cause of the explosion. It is the first death in the U.S. to be caused by a vaping pen.

While such incidents are rare and the death has been ruled accidental, it isn't the first time a spontaneous e-cigarette explosion has raised concerns. The mod pen was manufactured in the Philippines. Tallmadge D'Elia's death is being called the first fatality linked to e-cigarettes, but officials still don't know exactly how it happened.

The owner of Lizard Juice, an e-cigarette retailer in Florida, said he does not think such vaping pens are "safe enough".

Tallmadge D'Elia, who reportedly worked as a technical supervisor at CNBC in New Jersey, was only thirty-eight (38) years old. The pen does not come with safety features to ensure the device doesn't overheat, according to an online product description.

A fire in January this year at Denver International Airport was blamed on a vape pen's lithium ion battery. "It is this intimate contact between the body and the battery that is most responsible for the severity of the injuries that have been seen".

The spokeperson added that they have previously had issues with companies "cloning their batteries".