40 dead as squall, storms wreak havoc

  • 40 dead as squall, storms wreak havoc

40 dead as squall, storms wreak havoc

In a tweet, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said: "Saddened by the loss of lives due to storms in some parts of the country". PM prayed for the speedy recovery of the injured and asked the officials to provide all the possible assistance. Uttar Pradesh was the worst affected, accounting for 80 deaths, majority in Agra district in western part.

On May 9, several parts of the state were hit by a severe storm that left 18 dead and 27 others injured.

In another accident, a 19-year-old man died after several bricks fell on him in southeast Delhi's Jaitpur area.

Meanwhile, one person died and two others were injured when lightning struck Jammu and Kashmir's Anantnag district on Saturday.

Flight operations to and from the Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport here was majorly hit today as a dust storm hit the city in the evening, with sources at the airport confirming over 40 diversions and more than two dozen delays.

♦ Heavy rain very likely at isolated places over Kerala.

An advisory was issued to avoid travelling to the high hills of Kullu, Sirmaur, Chamba, Lahaul and Spiti and Kinnaur districts as chances of snow and rain are high over the next 24 hours, a government spokesperson said.

He said lightning strikes, rains and gales were likely in Srikakulam, Vizianagaram and Visakhapatnam districts in north coastal Andhra, besides in Anantapuramu, Chittoor, Kadapa in Rayalaseema and SPS Nellore in the south coast.

Various parts of the southern state witnessed rain, accompanied by gales.

While the maximum temperature in Chandrapur shot up to 47.3 degree Celsius on Friday, mercury may hit 43 degree Celsius with heat waves spread across the National Capital region in mid of May.

Clear skies and low wind speeds before Sunday had led to temperatures in the 40-43 degrees Celsius range last week, said Kuldeep Srivastava, a senior scientist with the regional meteorological office in Delhi. Humidity during the morning hours was recorded at 60 per cent, a MeT official said. "It was over a hundred on Sunday", said an IMD official.

The strong winds knocked down a number of trees in the city.

When the Metro services resumed, the trains plied at halting speed.