Bomb attack on mosque in Afghanistan slammed

  • Bomb attack on mosque in Afghanistan slammed

Bomb attack on mosque in Afghanistan slammed

The attack came hours after unknown gunmen in a northern Afghan region kidnapped seven engineers, mostly Indian nationals. No group has claimed responsibility for the abduction so far. The Taliban has denied involvement.

Earlier this month, bombings at voter registration centres in the capital, Kabul, and in Baghlan province killed at least 63 people and wounded more than 100.

But the Taliban, and the local cell of the Islamic state oppose democratic elections in the country.

An Afghan wounded man lays on a trolley as others rush him to a hospital following blast at a voter registration centre in Khost Province on May 6, 2018.

They were abducted while travelling to the area, where the company, KEC, owns an electricity sub-station contract.

The victims were employees of an Indian company that runs the substation. A senior Indian embassy official told Reuters that over 150 Indian engineers and technical experts were now working across Afghanistan on large infrastructure projects.

Provincial council chairman Mohammad Safdar Mohseni said the group had ignored warnings to take a police escort through an area largely controlled by the Taliban.

The insurgents had last week overrun Kohistan, which borders Pakistan after several days of intense clashes.

Zadran said the casualty toll stood at "about 30".

He said the blast appeared to have been caused by explosives left in the mosque rather than by a suicide bomber.Habib Shah Ansari, head of the health department in Khost, said 17 were confirmed dead from the blast with 34 injured.

In the eastern Paktia province, a auto bomb killed two people and wounded another three.

The police chief has a fearsome reputation fighting the Taliban and has survived many assassination attempts.