Dozens Killed, Injured in Boko Haram Village Attack

  • Dozens Killed, Injured in Boko Haram Village Attack

Dozens Killed, Injured in Boko Haram Village Attack

The second incident occurred when soldiers on guard at the outskirts of Maiduguri gunned down six Boko Haram gunmen and seven suicide bombers, bringing the death toll on both sides to 29.

"So far we have recovered 18 dead bodies from the two villages Bale Shuwa and Bale Kura", on the outskirts of Maiduguri, Benlo Dambatto, an official from the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) said.

A gun battle broke out after the militants attacked the base with bombs, mortars and guns, a senior military officer in Maiduguri said on condition of anonymity.

It was not immediately clear if the casualties involved only civilians or included the jihadists and soldiers as well.

The spokesman of the military at Operation Lafiya Dole headquarters, Maiduguri, Colonel Onyema Nwachukwu, said the attackers would have made it into more crowded areas of Maiduguri had the troops deployed along the attacked axis not repelled them.

"The troops also recovered two AK 47 rifles and two magazines; the Nigerian Police Explosive Ordnance Disposal team have detonated two Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) vests recovered from the killed suicide bombers".

He said that since the start of the conflict in 2009, more than 20,000 people had been killed, thousands of girls, women, boys and men abducted, while children continue to be used routinely as so-called "suicide" bombers.

He said, however, that some of the Boko Haram insurgents were killed.

Buhari's information minister Lai Mohammed revealed that a temporary ceasefire had been declared as part of "intense back channel" negotiations to free the hostages.

"Civilians are also regularly abducted, as in Dapchi, Yobe State, where 110 school girls were taken on February 19". It had been the largest mass kidnapping since 2014 when over 200 schoolgirls were taken from Chibok.

When contacted by Vatican News, the Nigerian Catholic Secretariat condemned the ongoing terror by Boko Haram and called on the government to do more to protect innocent civilians. Still reportedly adverse to talks is another faction, known as Shekau.