Gauri Lankesh murder: Man taken into custody for interrogation

  • Gauri Lankesh murder: Man taken into custody for interrogation

Gauri Lankesh murder: Man taken into custody for interrogation

Based on information provided by him earlier, police wanted to question him further and moved the court which granted eight days police custody today.

According to Suvarna TV: Upparpet police had held Naveen near Kempegowda Bus Station (Majestic) in Bengaluru under the Arms Act on February 18. The SIT seems to be inching closer to indicating that Gauri's murder was the fourth one in this line of fatal shootings - since all three before her were rationalists and all of them were killed with.32 calibre firearms.

The same news report quotes a source in the SIT as saying: "He resembled the man who conducted a recce (of Lankesh's house) on September 3 and the morning of September 5".

After questioning Naveen over the past few days, SIT sleuths on Friday made a decision to take him into custody and approached the sessions court on Friday seeking his custody. "This suspect was traced on the basis of CCTV footage", the APP said. He boasted to a friend that he had been involved in a big job. Kumar and some of his friends have referred to visits by people from outside Karnataka to Maddur and Bengaluru to carry out operations, sources said.

Police had later released sketches of two suspects and asked for public help to put a name to their faces but there hadn't been much of a headway. It is also the favourite spot for criminals here, to buy weapons for just Rs. 8,000 to Rs. 10,000 and dispose it off, after it is used in a crime.

Lankesh, 55, the editor of "Lankesh Patrike", was shot dead outside her residence in the city's southwestern suburb by unidentified assailants September 5 a year ago by unidentified men.

Lankesh was a journalist and activist who ran a Kannada weekly called Gauri Lankesh Patrike.

Indian police made its first arrest on Friday (March 2) in connection with the murder of a prominent newspaper editor whose death triggered nationwide protests a year ago.