Nigeria gives description of 110 missing schoolgirls

  • Nigeria gives description of 110 missing schoolgirls

Nigeria gives description of 110 missing schoolgirls

The authorities in Abuja had previously stopped short of saying the 110 students were seized during the raid on the Government Girls Science and Technology College in Dapchi last Monday.

Meanwhile, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has urged President Muhammadu Buhari to halt the feasting with the All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftains in Aso Villa and show leadership by visiting the troubled Dapchi, Yobe State, to get a first hand information on the circumstances surrounding the abduction of the 110 school girls under his watch.

Almost four years on, 112 are still being held.

In a statement, Antonio Guterres, UN secretary-general, called for the "unconditional" release of the girls.

WorldStage Newsonline-- Speaker of House of Representatives, Mr Yakubu Dogara has called on all the security agencies to stop blame game and take responsibility for their actions over the abduction of 110 schoolgirls in Dapchi, Yobe, on February 19.

The senator said the abduction has reversed some of the gains in the war against Boko Haram insurgents.

The kidnapping has raised questions about the military's repeated claims that the Islamist militants are on the verge of defeat, after almost nine years of bitter fighting.

It has led to questions about the extent of the government's grip on security and why promises to improve security of schools appears not to have been implemented, despite Chibok.

Schools, particularly those with a secular curriculum, have been targeted by Boko Haram, whose name roughly translates from Hausa as "Western education is forbidden". In carrying out its mandate to counter terrorism and insurgency in northeastern Nigeria, Operation Lafiya Dole has been alive to its responsibilities vis a vis the fight against Boko Haram insurgents.

It has used kidnapping as a weapon of war, seizing thousands of women and young girls as well as men and boys of fighting age.

The minister said that the committee also included two representatives of the Yobe State Government and a representative of the Office of the National Security Adviser.

"We know that girls who return to their communities after escaping capture, often with children, face stigma and exclusion, so it is likely this incident will affect these girls for the rest of their lives". Hours later, Abdullahi Bego, spokesman for Yobe State Governor, Ibrahim Gaidam, said "some of the girls" had been rescued by troops "from the terrorists who abducted them".

Lamin said the school would remain closed "for a while, until the situation normalises and the girls are psychologically prepared to resume". Some of the attackers were camouflaged, with witnesses stating that a number of students thought they were soldiers.

The state governor, Ibrahim Geidam, claimed that the abduction occurred shortly after the army strangely withdrew its troops from the town.

In a statement by Deputy Director, Public Relations, Colonel Onyema Nwachukwu, the Army explained that it only redeployed those troops from Dapchi to reinforce those at Kanama following attacks on troops' location at the Nigerian - Nigerien border.