Central Michigan University Shooter In Custody

  • Central Michigan University Shooter In Custody

Central Michigan University Shooter In Custody

MSP says he used his father's gun.

The Central Michigan University student wanted in connection with Friday's shooting deaths of his parents has been arrested, authorities said.

The student's parents traveled from the Chicago area to the Mount Pleasant campus early Friday after police called his mother to tell her about her son, Yeagley said.

According to Lt. Larry Klaus of the Central Michigan University Police Department, Davis Jr. was recently in the hospital due to a "drug-related health problem". The school posted an alert Friday morning on social media about shots being fired at Campbell Hall.

"We had picnics in our backyard", Leal said.

Police believe the situation started from a domestic situation, as parents were on campus to pick students up for spring break.

After the shooting, officers went building to building to search for Davis. Jr.

It was the nation's 12th school shooting this year.

"My sincerest condolences go out to the family of Bellwood Police Officer James Davis Sr. and his wife who were shot and killed this morning", he continued.

But Yeagley says officers called Davis' parents and then took Davis to a hospital for an evaluation Thursday afternoon after he was seen in a dormitory hallway with his suitcases, again acting strangely.

Yeagley says when officers determined that person posed no threat, Davis said he was fine and was leaving campus Friday for spring break.

At the moment we know that shooting people not yet arrested, the police surrounded the University campus.

Police said having the firearm on campus was a violation of university policy, despite James Sr. being an officer of the law. In a statement, university officials said that a witness on a train had reported seeing Davis while passing through the north end of the campus shortly after midnight.

There are no details at this time of where or how Davis was arrested, but according to the city of Mount Pleasant Twitter account, he was taken into custody without incident.

At Friday's press conference, Bellwood Police Chief Jiminez Allen said that the Bellwood Police Department is cooperating with CMU police and the Michigan State Police during the investigation. It is about an hour north of Lansing, the state capital and about 2½ hours northwest of Detroit.

Davis Jr. was hypothermic and not making sense when he was found, authorities said. "At that point he was released to the hospital staff", Klaus said.

The Davis family was from Plainfield Illinois.