Hawaii Emergency Agency Worker Says Was Sure Attack Was Real

  • Hawaii Emergency Agency Worker Says Was Sure Attack Was Real

Hawaii Emergency Agency Worker Says Was Sure Attack Was Real

The man, who has asked to remain anonymous, told ABC News, "I did what I was trained to do" by "making the selection to notify the public". The announcement over the loudspeaker also ended with "exercise, exercise, exercise", but an investigation by the Federal Communications Commission found that the worker only heard the middle portion of the alert. "I did what I was trained to do and I feel very badly about what happened", he said today in his first public comments since January 13 when he sent a panic-inducing cell-phone alert warning of an impending ballistic missile strike.

"I was convinced that it was real", the ex-worker told CBS.

The worker's mistake was hard to correct, since the state's emergency alert team did not have proper training in how to reverse an alert, the investigation found. Alerts went out to residents' phones and up on screens over highways, while workers scrambled to figure out how to retract the alert.

"We all did our best to try to remedy the situation", he said.

"I don't think they're prepared for missile notifications", he said, KGMB reports. "I've been very anxious about my safety and the safety of my family".

Hawaii officials swiftly confirmed a cell phone alert warning of an incoming ballistic missile was a "false alarm" on January 13, 2018, but not before the ominous message unnerved residents and stirred confusion across the U.S. state. A video of a man putting his child in a manhole went viral.

The worker was sacked by the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency; however, Yahoo New 7 reported his superiors knew for years he had problems performing his job. A second alert notifying residents of the mistake didn't go out until almost 40 minutes after the first alert.

"No one was ready for this day", Green said by phone. So the beginning of the message was lost as far as [hearing the warning] "exercise".

The worker says when the supervisor sent out the message on a secure phone for the drill, someone was supposed to put it on speaker phone so everyone could hear it. "It was a fast-paced, rather chaotic office at the time". Logging onto our computers here. "SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL", which caused panic and fear on the archipelago USA state. The former employee said the whole thing was a failure in planning from top to bottom.

The message "was very real to me", he said, adding he was "100 percent sure it was the right decision based on the message".

"I've learned from it", he said. "I felt sick afterward". Since then, he's reportedly been distressed to the point that he has had trouble eating and sleeping.

Something else he says the state lied about: that he had mistaken drills as real events at least two times in the past, and that he was counseled for them.

The employee said today that "that's not true".

For the first time, the fired state worker who sent a false missile alert is speaking out.

"I think they came close to people figuring out who it is, and that clearly exposes him to great bodily harm".

Two more employees have resigned, including the administrator of HI-EMA; a third employee will be suspended without pay, an official said Tuesday.