Two killed in Iran protests: deputy governor

  • Two killed in Iran protests: deputy governor

Two killed in Iran protests: deputy governor

Two Iranian anti-government protesters have been killed, after three straight days of demonstrations against economic unrest and the Islamic regime.

Nationwide protests erupted Thursday in Iran's second largest city of Mashhad over economic issues and have since expanded to several cities.

More than 400 people have been arrested across the country.

"Unfortunately in these clashes two citizens from Dorud were killed".

Two other demonstrators were confirmed killed in western Iran late Saturday.

The demonstrations are the most serious political unrest in Iran since 2009 when millions took to the streets to protest alleged electoral fraud. However, information about them remains scarce as both state-run and semi-official media in Iran have not widely reported on the protests.

So far, security forces appear to have shown some restraint, in an apparent attempt to avoid escalating tensions.

"Police had no choice but to confront and shoot at people who broke norms last night and poured into the streets", said Ahmadreza Kazemi, parliamentary representative from Pole Dokhtar, in Lorestan Province, on December 31. He said that two people were killed on Sunday night in the southwestern town of Izeh. It was not clear if they were included in the state TV toll.

Khademi said the cause of deaths in Izeh wasn't immediately known.

The protests were organised in part by messages on the Telegram messaging app, which is popular in the country, with images shared on Instagram. In fact, the government of President Hassan Rouhani, hampered by incessant attacks from hard-liners and by the fragmented power structure in Iran, has struggled to improve Iran's economy.

In this photo taken by an individual not employed by the Associated Press and obtained by the AP outside Iran, university students attend a protest inside Tehran University while anti-riot Iranian police prevent them to join other protestors, in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, Dec. 30, 2017.