Uproar As Dead Men Make Govt's Boards List

  • Uproar As Dead Men Make Govt's Boards List

Uproar As Dead Men Make Govt's Boards List

President Muhammadu Buhari will make a national broadcast to the nation to mark the New Year on January 1, at 7.00 a.m. Another person, Senator Francis Okpozo, was appointed as Chairman of the Nigerian Press Council.

The founder of Fidei Polytechnic, Gboko, the first private polytechnic in Northern Nigeria was in April 2017.

On Friday, the presidency announced the appointment of 209 new board chairmen and 1,258 members of government agencies and parastatals.

This brings the total number of deceased persons on the president's list to eight.

"The president also appointed Chief Donald Ugbaja as a Member of the Consumer Protection Council (CPC)".

Reacting to the uproar on social media, senior special assistant to the president on media and publicity, Mr Garba Shehu, in a recorded interview with the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), obtained by Olisa Blogazine on Saturday said the list had been prepared since October, 2016 but was never made public due to the health challenges faced by the president.

According to him, "no human undertaking can be free of mistakes", maintaining that "there is no scandal" involved in the appointments. "The President asked all state chapters of the APC to forward 50 names for appointments to the SGF through the national headquarters of the party", Shehu said.

The statement added: "As a stalwart of the APC in the South-South, President Buhari believes that the party greatly benefited from the octogenarian's charismatic leadership and wealth of experience as a politician".

"However, complaint arose from some Governors who felt they were not carried along in the process".

One of the explanations for the names of the dead on the list is that it was compiled long ago.

However in its defence, the presidency, through its spokesman, said the list was compiled in 2015 but was not release because the president was away on medical leave.

A source told Daily Trust on Sunday that the controversial list contains over 60 percent of the initial nominations by the Babachir Lawal-led committee despite protest of some governors and party bigwigs.