Deadly Bronx fire started by 3-year-old playing with stove burners

  • Deadly Bronx fire started by 3-year-old playing with stove burners

Deadly Bronx fire started by 3-year-old playing with stove burners

December was the worst month of fire in New York City in a decade, Nigro said.

The communications officer for the Red Cross, Michael de Vulpillieres, informed that they are giving out blankets, temporary housing, food, drinks and mental health care to residents, and teaming up with the Fire Department they set up a tent with fire education pamphlets. Twelve people, including four children, are dead, and four others are critically hurt.

The building is in the Belmont section of the Bronx, a primarily residential, close-knit neighbourhood known as the "Little Italy" of the borough, near Fordham University and the Bronx Zoo. Excluding the September 11 attacks, it was the worst fire in the city since 87 people were killed in an arson at a social club in the Bronx in 1990. Excluding the September 11 attacks, it was the worst fire in the city since 87 people were killed at a social club fire in the Bronx in 1990.

The FDNY confirmed that the sinister started when a 3-and-a-half-year-old child, living on the first floor, was playing with a stove. About 20 others had already climbed onto the building's fire escapes into the frigid night air, with temperatures hovering in the teens, when the first firefighters arrived, he said.

"We're shocked by this loss", New York Fire Department Commissioner Daniel Nigro said.

Betty and Joel Rodriguez, who lived on the first floor of the apartment building opposite the unit where the fire started, said they escaped after smoke came pouring into their apartment.

Windows on some upper floors were smashed and blackened as the flames ripped through the building, which according to city records did not have an elevator.

"I got scared and freaked out because I thought I was going to fall off the fire escape, but I tried my best", Martinez said. He added that it's not unusual for children to be fascinated by fire or rare for children to start them.

Among the victims are a family of four - 2-year-old Kylie Francis, 7-year-old Charmela Francis, 19-year-old Shantay Young and 37-year-old Karen Francis. "God rest their souls, they're attractive".

"I opened the door and it was pitch black", Rodriguez said. "The building is gone", he said.

"It seems like a awful, tragic accident", Mayor Bill de Blasio said in an interview with WNYC radio.

In 2007, 10 immigrants from Mali, including nine children, died after a space heater caught fire in a Bronx building.

In addition to the reports of one apartment's faulty smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, the city received four complaints about the building, since 2004.