Lone accused in Jisha murder case found guilty by Ernakulam court

  • Lone accused in Jisha murder case found guilty by Ernakulam court

Lone accused in Jisha murder case found guilty by Ernakulam court

Her body bore injuries that led to suspicion that she was raped before her murder. While the prosecution has asked for the death penalty, the quantum of punishment will be announced by the court on Wednesday. Later, it was revealed that she was sexually assaulted before being brutally murdered on April 28 in Perumbavoor. However, the court observed the prosecution failed to prove charges of Destruction of Evidence (Section 201 IPC) and SC/ST Prevention of Atrocities Act 1989.

The Court had on December 6 completed the hearing in the case and posted it for today for pronouncement of judgement. The trial in the case which began on March 13, 2017 continued till November 15, 2017.

As many as 100 witnesses were examined during the trial which commenced in April a year ago.

Police took almost two months to identify a suspect, generating widespread criticism by women's rights activists who accused investigators of bungling the case.

The DNA samples in her body, slippers, nails matched with the accused, Times Now reported.

More than 100 policemen questioned over 1,500 people and fingerprints of over 5,000 people were examined by a Special Investigation Team that went through over 20 lakh telephonic conversations before zeroing in on Ameer. According to Manorama Online, the 24-year-old accused had confessed to the murder.

The LDF government, after assuming power in May past year, changed the investigation team and entrusted the probe to ADGP B Sandhya in its first cabinet meeting itself. The police later zeroed in on Islam. A pair of footwear recovered by the police several weeks after the crime reportedly turned out to be a crucial evidence.

The woman, a Dalit and the daughter of a casual labourer, was found dead, disembowelled in her house with more than 30 stab wounds. It has argued that Ameerul killed Jisha as she resisted him. "Her family was ostracised by the local community and neither the police nor the local administration had listened to her earlier appeals for help, attracting nationwide outrage".