President Donald Trump Urges Saudi Arabia To Allow Supplies Into Yemen

  • President Donald Trump Urges Saudi Arabia To Allow Supplies Into Yemen

President Donald Trump Urges Saudi Arabia To Allow Supplies Into Yemen

President Trump called on Saudi Arabia to lift its crushing blockade against its war-torn neighbor Yemen on Wednesday, hours after defying the kingdom and saying the USA would recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

Mr. Trump said US officials asked Saudi leaders to "completely allow food, fuel, water, and medicine to reach the Yemeni people who desperately need it". You all need to know that.

A Saudi-led coalition has been fighting in Yemen since March 2015, seeking to restore the ousted President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi.

The conflict has seen civilians repeatedly killed by bombing and through a lack of access to food and clean water.

Unverified footage circulated by Yemeni social media users appeared to a show corpse resembling Mr Saleh.

Street skirmishes spread across Sanaa amid news of Saleh's death, and the Red Cross said that 234 people had been killed and almost 500 injured since Monday.

They claim he was still leading forces in heavy fighting in Sanaa that has killed at least 125 people and wounded 238 in six days, according to the International Committee of the Red Cross.

The Saudis have imposed intermittent blockades on Yemen, their southern neighbor, including one that was partially lifted last week.

Another source of the Yemeni media outlet said that the ceremony took place not in Sanhan, but in Sanaa, which is the capital of the country.

Under global pressure, Saudi Arabia partially lifted the blockade, and the first aid shipments since the blockade arrived last week. On Tuesday, the U.N. Security Council warned of "the dire and deteriorating humanitarian situation in Yemen", saying the country "stands at the brink of catastrophic starvation".

On Monday, an official from Saleh's party, the General People's Congress (GPC), confirmed reports that the former president was killed by the Houthis. It said last month it recorded a total of 962,536 suspected cases of the disease throughout Yemen. "It will be the largest starvation the world has seen for many decades, with millions of victims".