The FDA Warns That Dog Bone Treats Could Kill Your Dog

  • The FDA Warns That Dog Bone Treats Could Kill Your Dog

The FDA Warns That Dog Bone Treats Could Kill Your Dog

Stop giving your dog a bone.

The FDA says it has received about 68 reports of pet illnesses, and even deaths, related to bone treats.

While you may be aware that it's not safe to give your dog a real bone (a pork or poultry bone, for instance), even store bought bone treats can be unsafe for dogs to chew on, the FDA says.

Bone treats, the agency said, are dried either by smoking or baking and then often have other ingredients including preservatives.

The symptoms reported to the administration include choking, mouth wounds, vomiting and bleeding from the rectum, according to the report.

Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian in the Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) at the FDA, said in the report that people should rely on their vet for help.

The agency said it received reports of moldy-looking treats and bone treats that splintered when chewed by the dog.

Many dog owners are aware that throwing their furry friend a turkey or chicken bone is a bad idea; the brittle bones can pose a danger. "Bone treats" vary with real butcher-type bones.

If you have a dog, you know that it will, and must, chew.

These bones are very delicate and cause health hazards for your dog.

With Christmas quickly approaching, many dog owners are planning to give their favorite pup a special treat so they can celebrate the season along with the rest of the family.

The FDA has also set up a portal on its website if you'd like to report a problem with a pet treat. Dogs are notorious for helping themselves to the turkey carcass or steak bones disposed of there.

Talk with your veterinarian about appropriate toys and treats.

Rest assured, there are products available that are safe and will divert your dog's attention (at least for awhile) from your slippers.

She recommends knowing what what kind of chewer your dog is before buying toys. "And if she 'just isn't acting right, ' call your veterinarian right away", Stamper continued.