United States embassy in Turkey 'partially resumes' visas after month-long pause

Hours later, the Turkish embassy maintained that it had not given the United States any assurances, and said that any decision regarding legal procedures on U.S. mission workers would be left to Turkey's judicial system.

The two countries on Monday partially restored visa services after a almost month-long row over the arrest of Turkish staffers of a USA mission for alleged Fetullah Terrorist Organisation (FETO) ties.

The US embassy confirmed in a statement on Monday that it received "initial high-level assurances" from the Turkish Government that there are no additional local employees of the US mission in Turkey under investigation, Xinhua news agency reported.

Last month, the United States halted most visa services for Turkish citizens after Turkish authorities arrested Metin Topuz, a Turkish employee at the USA consulate in Istanbul, deepening already strained ties between Ankara and Washington.

It also said a reference to the security conditions of U.S. missions in Turkey in the United States embassy's statement was "odd" and did not reflect the truth.

The Turkish Embassy in Washington posted a brief statement on Twitter, announcing that it was also resuming "limited" visa services.

Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim also arrived in the U.S. on Tuesday to start his trip amid signs of improving Turkish-U.S. relations.

The interior ministry said on Monday that almost 700 people had been detained over the previous week on allegations of ties to what Ankara calls the "Gulenist Terror Group". He was the second local staff member at a US mission in Turkey to be held.

Turkish authorities issued an arrest warrant on October 9 for another personnel working for the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul, whose wife and son were then interrogated by the police.

The U.S. embassy said it continues to "have serious concerns about the existing cases against arrested local employees" as well as the cases of other arrested U.S. citizens.

Mr Gulen - who has denied any involvement in the coup - has lived in Pennsylvania since 1999, and USA officials have said courts require sufficient evidence to order his extradition.