Nigerian Women & Girls' Bodies Found at Sea

  • Nigerian Women & Girls' Bodies Found at Sea

Nigerian Women & Girls' Bodies Found at Sea

It has been reported by the BBC that 26 Nigerian women have lost their lives while attempting to cross the Mediterranean sea. Of the 400 people rescued and brought overseas Spanish vessel, Cantabria, 90 women and 52 minors, including a week-old-baby were saved.

A seemingly endless line of black plastic body bags were lowered by crane from a Spanish ship onto the port side in Salerno, southern Italy, where they were placed in coffins and loaded onto waiting hearses.

The statement said "The Director-General Dame Julie Okah-Donli and the entire Management are saddened by this unfortunate occurrence which has cut short the lives of the young women in their prime and in very painful and suspicious circumstances".

The Nigerians are suspected to have been sexually abused and murdered at the sea.

While, a senior European correspondent, Sylvia Poggioli from the global desk of National Public Radio, said in her statement that, "The cause of death appears to be by drowning". "Most of these victims are between the ages of 14 and 18", Dr. John DeGarmo, human trafficking and leading foster care expert and Director of the Foster Care Institute, told the media outlet Refinery29.

Sub-Saharan Africans hoping to flee poverty or war have taken advantage of Libya's power vacuum, which has allowed smugglers to operate mostly without restraint. Eight of the women were pregnant.

This rescue was one of four separate rescue missions executed over the weekend. The majority of migrants who reach the Mediterranean route into Europe (75%), landed in Italy.

This year through November 1, about 151,000 migrants survived the journey across the Mediterranean to Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.

"In all, 2,839 people have died while attempting the crossing so far, this year", it said.

Since 2014, more than 400,000 migrants and refugees have crossed the Mediterranean from Libya to Italy.

On Monday, Italian police arrested two men, an Egyptian and a Libyan accused with human smuggling.