John Kelly's personal phone was reportedly compromised for months

  • John Kelly's personal phone was reportedly compromised for months

John Kelly's personal phone was reportedly compromised for months

A top USA official may have had his personal smartphone compromised by hackers or a foreign government, it has been claimed.

Thus far it is unclear just what may have been exposed by the infection of Kelly's device and if any data was stolen. That's when White House tech support decided the phone had been breached. USA government officials told Politico that Kelly turned his phone in to White House tech support this summer, complaining about faulty software updates.

Politico reported Thursday that "three USA government officials" believed Kelly's phone was breached, possibly by hackers or foreign governments - and giving them access to critical data.

Kelly, according to White House officials, has seen less value in the lessons of his predecessors as he tests the limits of what military order can do for Twitter-happy Trump.

Trump said the NBC report about Tillerson threatening to resign was "fake news".

The chief of staff is no longer in possession of the phone, Politico said.

Aides circulated a one-page memo through Trump's administration last month, Politico reports, and Kelly has since stopped using the phone.

Government officials are legally required to conduct official business through a government-issued email so that the communications can be made available to the public.

However, that's not good enough in a world where hackers can infiltrate software on a phone that would grant them complete access to the device.

The president himself has sparked criticism for his use of an outdated Galaxy S3 phone that is reported to be vulnerable to hackers, according to the Atlantic.