Your trendy copper mug for Moscow Mules might be poisoning you

  • Your trendy copper mug for Moscow Mules might be poisoning you

Your trendy copper mug for Moscow Mules might be poisoning you

Now, researchers claimed that using copper utensils for such is not good for health, especially, the cocktails when taken in copper mugs and glasses. When preparing these kinds of cocktails, like the Moscow Mule, for example, the drink is served in a mug of copper, along with lime juice.

However, lucky for Moscow Mule lovers, they do have a solution to this dilemma.

It's bad news for Moscow Mule fans, the Insta-friendly drink which is typically served in a trendy copper mug. The report asserts that liquids from copper mugs with an inner lining of nickel, stainless steel or another metal are safe to consume. Lawmakers' reasoning is that the combination of the copper in the mug and the acidity of the beverage could possibly cause copper poisoning.

The code then mentioned: "When copper and copper alloy surfaces contact acidic foods, copper may be leached into the food".

Copper toxicity, sometimes referred to as hypercupremia or copperiedus, can also occur from eating acidic foods that have been cooked in uncoated copper cookware. Copper is not really the flawless material to consume food and drinks from, as it might cause food poisoning.

The State of Iowa has issued an advisory bulletin warning consumers about selling and serving alcoholic beverages in copper mugs.

Not all copper cups will poison you.

Some may protest: How else is one supposed to drink a Moscow mule?

Symptoms of copper poisoning include abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting and jaundice, according to the National Institutes of Health.

I should note that the more expensive varieties of the mugs, like this $40 set on Amazon, tout the fact that they're made of "pure copper" and are "unlined".