Chemical leak at North Carolina YMCA sends children to hospital

  • Chemical leak at North Carolina YMCA sends children to hospital

Chemical leak at North Carolina YMCA sends children to hospital

An external disaster recovery team cleaned up the chemical residue overnight and a pool contractor began repairs Thursday morning, according to a statement from the Downtown Durham YMCA.

"We always want to evaluate what we can do- extra layers of safety and support- and it certainly something we're evaluating as we move forward", he said. Six of those injured, all of them children, were reported to be in serious but "non-life-threatening" condition. In a statement, Durham police said those transported to hospitals were "exhibiting symptoms such as vomiting, respiratory illness and skin and eye irritation". Injured guests have been transported to Duke University Hospital and Duke Regional Hospital. After the chemical spill at the Durham Downtown YMCA, the location was evacuated. The YMCA initially reported mechanical issues as the reason for the early closure.

Six children are in serious condition after a chemical leak closed the Downtown Durham YMCA Tuesday, police said.

Witness Dan Winn told ABC station WTVD that he saw kids "coughing" shortly after smelling a "real strong odor".

The 911 dispatcher said there had been a previous call about someone having a breathing difficulty, but they didn't have any idea about a hazardous material situation.

Glenn confirmed that the Durham Fire Department was investigating the incident.

Parents said that the camp was a seven week program and is scheduled to end Friday and more children actually attended camp Thursday than on Wednesday, according to YMCA officials.

"I felt lightheaded with my throat hurting", Siler said of her symptoms before she was taken to the hospital via ambulance.

Stanley said it is rare for those two chemicals to mix and turn into a chlorine gas.

They look for all kinds of issues, including how chemicals are stored so they don't create a hazard.

The spill occurred at about three p.m. and the pool has been closed.