200 villagers attack Noida apartment after maid held captive

  • 200 villagers attack Noida apartment after maid held captive

200 villagers attack Noida apartment after maid held captive

Tension erupted in a Noida residential society in Sector 78 on Wednesday morning when a mob barged into the premises and vandalised property following allegations of a domestic help being beaten up and held hostage by a family. The domestic help namely Zohra who was allegedly beaten has also been named in the FIR registered on the complaints by the builder, the residents and the maid's employer. The problem started when angry villagers residing nearby the housing society gathered around the premises at 7 am and tried to enter the society flats forcefully. The mob also resorted to stone pelting on buildings and attack with rods.

The locals also blocked the Dadri-Surajpur-Chhalera (DSC) road at Barola, leading to halting of traffic near Noida Phase 2 Industrial Area.

After learning about the incident, the Superintendent of police (city) Arun Kumar Singh visited the spot. "We are trying to contain the protest", the report quoted Singh as saying. The family has, however, denied assaulting the maid and asserted that the maid was caught red handed while stealing Rs.10,000 from the house.

Meanwhile, according to Zohra's husband, Abdul Sattar, the 26-year-old had left her house to work like every other day in the morning.

The employers, according to news reports, had alleged that the maid had stolen money from them.

The employers reportedly suspected her of stealing money. Since the maid as well as her relatives are believed to be of Bangladeshi origin, the Mahagun Moderne Society has banned employment of domestic help belonging to Bangladesh for security reasons. Noida police, instead of taking action, is now firing at the protesters. "I wonder how the husband knew about the phone if his wife had not gone back home", he said. On Wednesday morning, a few people went with me to the society and asked where my wife was.

Reports said residents were unable to send their children to schools as a result of the ruckus. We slept assuming the issue was over, but in the morning they came in groups and entered my house by breaking the door glass.