Attackers raid Iran parliament and mausoleum, up to seven dead

  • Attackers raid Iran parliament and mausoleum, up to seven dead

Attackers raid Iran parliament and mausoleum, up to seven dead

Shortly after Islamic State claimed the gun and suicide-bomb rampage at the parliament building in Tehran and the shrine of the Islamic Republic's revolutionary founder, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, Iran's Revolutionary Guards hinted that the attack came soon after President Donald Trump's visit to Saudi Arabia, without identifying it by name.

Meanwhile, the Intelligence Ministry said that the perpetrators of these crimes acted in two coordinated groups, noting that all were Iranians from different regions of the country who had joined the ranks of the Islamic State (EI), also known by its Acronym Arabic Daesh.

"She offered honest condolences on the loss of innocent lives and expressed solidarity with the people and the government of Iran", the statement said.

Isis has threatened more attacks on Iran, declaring "war" on the country in a new edition of its Rumiyah propaganda magazine issued on Thursday.

It was unclear when the five men returned to Iran ahead of Wednesday's attacks.

Iran blamed the Wednesday attacks on Saudi Arabia, though no link has been established.

"The depravity of terrorism has no place in a peaceful, civilized world", said Nauert, who said the U.S.is expressing condolences to the victims and their families.

In the wake of Wednesday's attacks, Iran's Revolutionary Guard released a statement accusing the Saudis of being complicit in the attacks.

Foreign Minister Javad Zarif said Iran "rejected such claims of friendship" and redirected accusations toward the U.S., claiming the attackers had been "backed by USA clients". French President Emmanuel Macron called his Iranian counterpart, Hassan Rouhani, and apparently discussed expanding "cooperation in the fight against terrorism", according to an Iranian official.

Strongly condemning the dastardly twin attacks at the Iranian Parliament and the mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini in Tehran, Minister of Sports, IT and Technical Education, Moulvi Imran Raza Ansari today said such cowardice acts serve no goal except bringing destruction and victimizing the innocent people.

Iran has indirectly suggested that Saudi Arabia, its major regional rival and a US ally, played a role in the attack.

"We grieve and pray for the innocent victims of the terrorist attacks in Iran, and for the Iranian people, who are going through such challenging times", the statement said.

Islamic State's media arm quickly claimed responsibility for both attacks, the first in recent memory by the militants in Iran.

The Sunni extremist group is at war with Iranian-backed groups in Syria and Iran and views Iran's Shiite majority as apostates deserving of death. They've argued the deal only delayed Iran's pursuit of nuclear weapons and failed to allow the kind of inspections of its atomic sites that would guarantee Tehran was not cheating. Three of the gunmen were shot dead in an exchange of gunfire, while another blew himself up.

Another lawmaker said one of the assailants was surrounded by security forces and all the doors to the building had been closed, ISNA news agency reported.

Police on Thursday said they now held six suspects as part of their investigation into the attacks.