Lowell Murder Suspect Found Dead in Trunk of auto

  • Lowell Murder Suspect Found Dead in Trunk of auto

Lowell Murder Suspect Found Dead in Trunk of auto

Lowell police had described 51-year-old Ross Elliott as "armed, unsafe and increasingly desperate" at a press conference on Friday morning, noting that he had been on the run for more than 24 hours. A Gorham Street residence believed to be connected to Elliott has been secured, the district attorney's office said.

Authorities say the woman immediately called police.

Lowell police Chief William Taylor said investigators believe Elliott, 51, managed to get into the woman's auto sometime last night, while heavily armed SWAT officers combed the Highlands section of the city for any sign of him.

Chelmsford police Chief James Spinney said the woman spotted what she believed was a human hand and called 911.

Ryan warned that the public should not attempt to approach Elliott. "She went around to shut the trunk and made the discovery".

An off-duty officer and firefighter David Provencher saw the suspect hiding under his motorcycle cover on Thursday afternoon, WBZ-TV reported. He allegedly showed a gun and ran off.

Investigators say Elliott shot his ex-girlfriend in the head in the common area at an apartment building on Stevens Street early Thursday morning.

Nicole White, 44, of Lowell, Massachusetts.

White, whose last name is recorded in some records as Gamache-White, had a daughter, who is now safe with other family members.

"All I can say is Nicole was an incredible, kind, funny, loving woman", White's cousin, Lisa Barry, said.

"She loved her children with all her heart", said that friend, who requested anonymity. Ryan said the woman and Elliott were in a "domestic relationship". He was also charged with assault and battery with a risky weapon in December of 2005.

Ryan said this is another tragic case where domestic violence has claimed a life.

The suspect in a Lowell homicide Thursday morning has been found after a almost 48-hour manhunt in the area, according to Lowell police.

As of Friday morning, officers were continuing to patrol the Highlands neighborhood and others were stationed at area schools as a precaution.

The child is in the custody of police and relatives, Lowell Police Superintendent William Taylor told reporters.

"We don't know when he got in the vehicle", Ryan said about the suspect. "We were able to contain this individual to a very tight geographic area", he said.