North Korea threatens 'super-mighty preemptive strike' against the United States

  • North Korea threatens 'super-mighty preemptive strike' against the United States

North Korea threatens 'super-mighty preemptive strike' against the United States

In an escalating war of words with the U.S., North Korea warned Thursday of a "super-mighty preemptive strike" that would reduce American military forces in South Korea and the U.S. mainland "to ashes", according to The Rodong Sinmun, official newspaper of North Korea's Workers' Party.

North Korea claimed earlier this year that it had successfully tested a new type of medium- to long-range ballistic missile. Experts believe that North Korea is some time away from mastering the technology for such an attack, including miniaturising a nuclear warhead.

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence, on a tour of Asian allies, has said repeatedly an "era of strategic patience" with North Korea is over. The North's propaganda outlet Uriminzokkiri also took an aim at Washington's plot to strengthen sanctions against Pyongyang.

The defence ministry said US and South Korean air forces were conducting an annual training exercise, codenamed Max Thunder, until April 28.

The council said North Korea's illegal missile and nuclear activities "are greatly increasing tension in the region and beyond" and expressed "utmost concern" at its "highly destabilizing behavior and flagrant and provocative defiance" of six United Nations sanctions resolutions.

The 15-member council has strengthened sanctions following each of North Korea's five nuclear tests.

A North Korean missile blew up nearly immediately on its test launch on Sunday, the US military said.

Last month, the council was united in strongly condemning the launch of three missiles and expressed serious concern over Pyongyang's "increasingly destabilizing behavior".

Russian Federation wanted to include language contained in a previous resolution stressing the need to achieve a solution through dialogue, council diplomats said. The latest US -drafted statement dropped "through dialogue" and Russian Federation requested it be included.

"When we demanded to restore this "agreed wording", which is of great political importance, and expressed our readiness to continue working with the authors of the draft, the United States delegation scaled down the work on the document without explanation of reasons and said that Russia had blocked a statement for the press", according to a statement of the Russian Federation's permanent mission which was obtained by TASS.