Wrongful-death suits vs. Hernandez to go forward

  • Wrongful-death suits vs. Hernandez to go forward

Wrongful-death suits vs. Hernandez to go forward

FORMER NFL star Aaron Hernandez, who was serving a life sentence for a murder conviction and just days ago was acquitted of a double killing, has been found dead in his prison cell. Hernandez was convicted and sentenced to life in prison.

"Aaron was looking forward to an opportunity for a second chance to prove his innocence" in an appeal of the 2013 verdict, Baez said. Otherwise, he would have been transferred to a mental health unit, Fallon said.

Hernandez's death comes the same day the Patriots are making their visit to the White House today to mark their Super Bowl win.

The attorney is calling for a "transparent and thorough investigation" into the death of his client.

"Mr. Hernandez was in a single cell in a general population housing unit".

Prosecutors claimed he gunned the two men down after one accidentally spilled a drink on him in a nightclub - and then got a tattoo of a handgun and the words "God Forgives" to commemorate the crime. An investigation by detectives from the Worcester District Attorney's office and the Department of Correction, along with an autopsy by a chief medical examiner in Boston, will be conducted to rule out any foul play in the inmate's death.

Hernandez's former agent, Brian Murphy, said on Twitter that he did not believe the athlete had killed himself.

But the team released him in 2013 after he was arrested in the killing of Odin Lloyd, a semi-professional football player who was dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancee. He says Hernandez's loved ones are "heartbroken and determined to find the truth surrounding his untimely death".

Miami Dolphins center Mike Pouncey, a college teammate of Hernandez's, said on Instagram: "To my friend my brother!" He was acquitted on Friday of a 2012 double homicide in Boston.

"Lifesaving techniques were attempted on Mr. Hernandez and he was transported to UMASS Leominster where he was pronounced dead at 4:07 a.m.by a physician at the hospital", assistant-deputy commissioner of communications Christopher Fallon said in a statement. Mr. Hernandez hanged himself utilizing a bed sheet that he attached to his cell window.