Senior Chinese, US Officials Talks Unrelated to N Korea Missile Launch

  • Senior Chinese, US Officials Talks Unrelated to N Korea Missile Launch

Senior Chinese, US Officials Talks Unrelated to N Korea Missile Launch

The deployment of the strike group to waters off the Korean peninsula created headlines around the world after US President Donald Trump said his administration was committed to solving the problem of Pyongyang's weapons programme, alone if necessary.

Officials later said the strike group, including the 97,000-ton carrier and its 60-plus aircraft, the guided-missile destroyers USS Wayne E. Meyer and USS Michael Murphy and the guided-missile cruiser USS Lake Champlain would participate in naval exercises with the Australian navy south of Singapore before heading to Korea.

Mr. Trump's National Security Advisor Lieutenant General HR McMaster said "all options are on the table" including military intervention when it comes to North Korea.

This story is developing story and will be updated.

If U.S. forces decide to move forward with such a plan, however, having the Vinson group in closer proximity to North Korea would add up.

On Saturday - according to photographs released by the U.S. Navy - the carrier passed north through the Sunda Strait, the passage between the Indonesian islands of Sumatra and Java.

But turns out it was all false- the strike group wasn't en route to North Korea last week after all.

China has also cautioned North Korea against going for sixth nuclear test defying U.S. warnings. Though the White House directed any comments on the matter to the Pentagon, the reporters note that they were told that officials were puzzled about why the Pentagon had not corrected the timeline of events in light of the incorrect comments coming from the White House.

The Trump administration has repeatedly called on China to increase pressure on North Korea to comply with United Nations demands that it halt nuclear and missile tests.

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence visits the border village of Panmunjom which has separated the two Koreas since the Korean War, South Korea, Monday, April 17, 2017, a day after the North conducted a failed missile launch.

"North Korea is looking for trouble".

But soon after the Pacific Command statement, USA military officials clarified to CNN that the strike group would first complete a previously scheduled military exercise with the Australian navy.