ISIS death toll hits 90 from huge US bomb in Afghanistan

The number of Islamic State militants killed after U.S. forces dropped the military's largest non-nuclear bomb on a target in Afghanistan has risen to 94.

According to Indian intelligence officials, Murshid Mohammed, in his 20s, from Kasaragode, Kerala, was among the ISIS militants killed after the USA military struck ISIS' position in Nangarhar province near the Pakistan border April 13 with a massive 10-ton missile-powered bomb.

An Islamic State activist from Kerala is believed to have been among the 36 ISIS militants killed when the US dropped a massive GBU-43 bomb, also known as the "mother of all bombs", on the terror group's position in a cave network in eastern Afghanistan.

Nangarhar provincial spokesman Attaullah Khogyani gave a death toll of 90, far higher than the initial toll of 36 IS fighters given by Afghan officials. A statement released Friday through ISIS' media wing, Amaq News Agency, said none of the terror group's fighters were killed or injured.

Daesh, however, denied suffering casualties from the U.S. military's largest non-nuclear bomb which hit its mountain hideouts in eastern Nangarhar province, read a statement from the Daesh Amaq propaganda agency on Saturday.

A 300 meter long tunnel, along with large amounts of light and heavy weapons and munition were destroyed in the bombing, the Afghan defence ministry said Friday.

The bomb, weighing almost 10,000-kilogram, is guided by Global Positioning System and is the most powerful non-nuclear bomb that the United States possesses.

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani said he approved of the strike, and it was created to support Afghan and U.S. forces conducting clearance operations in the region.

While some Afghan residents are praising Trump and are even asking for more strikes, the former president of the country, Hamid Karzai, called the bombing "brutal" and "inhuman".

Officials continue to defend the strike as appropriate and claim it was a success, but the information on the ground is certainly raising doubts about that, with the Afghan government claiming the strike with the largest non-nuclear bomb in the United States arsenal killed 36 ISIS fighters, and ISIS saying that no one was killed at all in the strike.

Shinwari insisted there were "no military and civilian casualties at all", adding that Afghan commandos and American troops are carrying out clean-up operations in the area.

The Pentagon previously said there were hundreds of militant fighters in the area.

"I vehemently and in strongest words condemn the dropping of the latest weapon, the largest non-nuclear bomb, on Afghanistan by U.S. military", he said.

In a message distributed on the instant messaging app Viber, the Taliban said the United States had "no justification" for using such a powerful bomb during combat operations, calling it a "show" by US forces to persuade the world it is battling the Islamic State.

Former Afghan President Hamid Karzai tweeted: "This is not the war on terror, but the inhuman and most brutal misuse of our country as testing ground for new and risky weapons".

"The earth felt like a boat in a storm", one villager, who lives about 1.5 miles away from the blast, told the Guardian. "We thought it had happened right in front of our house", he said.

The United States, as part of its counterterrorism mission in Afghanistan, has been helping Afghan forces battle the local ISIS branch known as Islamic State-Khorasan Province since previous year.

The Taliban, a much bigger insurgent group, is expected to soon announce the start of this year's fighting season.

The bomb was dropped after fighting intensified over the past week and US-backed ground forces struggled to advance on the area.