Muhammad Ali's son 'angry' after being questioned again at an airport

  • Muhammad Ali's son 'angry' after being questioned again at an airport

Muhammad Ali's son 'angry' after being questioned again at an airport

The son of the late legendary boxer was also launching a campaign called "Step into the Ring" in the city in opposition to President Donald Trump's controversial travel ban, after he was detained at a Florida Airport for nearly two hours.

U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, who happened to be on the same flight, was sitting in the gate area when Ali's attorney Chris Mancini approached her and explained what happened.

David Lapan, Department of Homeland Security spokesman said that Ali Jr. arrived at about noon to check in for his 1 p.m. flight to Fort Lauderdale.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) denies that Ali was officially detained but did acknowledge that "a call was made to confirm Mr. Ali's identity with TSA officials", after which Ali was allowed to proceed to the security checkpoint.

"Going to Washington obviously opened a can of worms at the Department of Homeland Security".

Ironically Ali Jr. had been traveling with his mother on a trip to Washington to speak about a different experience with TSA officials in which he was detained for more than two hours in a Florida airport.

"To the Ali family, it's crystal clear that this is directly linked to Mr Trump's efforts to ban Muslims from the United States", Mancini stated last month after the Alis first encounter with airport agents.

The Democratic Congresswoman took to Twitter posting this photo saying, "Religiously profiling the son of "The Greatest" will not make us safe".

The incident took place almost a month after Ali and his mother, Khalilah Camacho Ali - both US-born citizens - were stopped and held for two hours at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport after returning from a trip to Jamaica on February 7 and asked "Where did you get your name from?"

The mother and son have said in interviews that they believe they have been stopped because they are Muslim with Arabic names.

"I got harassed again", Ali Jr. told the publication.

"I felt just like I felt at my father's funeral".

"The airline agent said, 'Oh, I've got to call Homeland Security, ' and then he's on the phone for 25 minutes relaying questions about Muhammad's Social Security number, date of birth, place of birth", Mancini said.

Spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein said Ali also was patted down because his jewelry set off a checkpoint scanner alarm.

Ali Jr. was allowed to board the Fort Lauderdale-bound flight.

That time, he said he gave agents his name, then was asked: "What is you religion?"

"It's not a coincidence that he was flagged after testifying about religious profiling", she said.