Wife of slain KKK wizard in police custody

According to our news partners at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 44-year-old Malissa Ancona was being held at the St. Francois County Jail.

On Friday, police were alerted that Ancona was reported missing through a Facebook post.

An autopsy Sunday afternoon found Ancona died as a result of a gunshot wound to the head. Malissa Ancona told police in a recorded interview that Jinkerson shot her husband, and she helped clean up the blood and tried to cover up the crime, Wampler wrote. We found a safe that looked like somebody had taken a crowbar to it and beat the side out of the safe.

It was later that a body was found on the bank of the Big River near Belgrade, in southern Washington County. On Saturday, authorities found evidence of a burn pile near Ancona's vehicle and later executed two search warrants, arresting one man on an unrelated drug charge.

Ancona gained notoriety as the leader of the Traditionalist American Knights, an extreme KKK-faction described as a hate group.

White supremacist Frank Ancona called himself an Imperial Wizard with the Traditionalist American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. The Daily Journal reported that Ancona's involvement with the organization had little to nothing to do with his death.

Frank Ancona was killed inside his bedroom, and his body was later dumped, according to the newspaper, which cited a probable cause statement. She said that the couple had not been getting along and he told his wife he had an out of state business errand to run and he was going to go fishing afterward. On Friday, his employer stated they never sent Ancona on any out of state business.

Authorities have said the investigation was ongoing, and the Washington County coroner told a local paper it is being treated as a homicide investigation. After investigating, officers found Frank Ancona's safe had been broken into and emptied, likely with a crowbar or other pry device, and that nearly all of Frank Ancona's guns were missing. He said deputies secured the area and on Saturday he requested assistance from the Missouri Highway Patrol.

The Washington County Sheriff's Department obtained a search warrant for a second address, this one in that county, and searched the home and the home owner's auto.

As yet, no one has been charged in the death, Mr Jacobsen said in a statement. Police said they believe he was killed in St. Francois County.

Investigators said Malissa Ancona tried to destroy blood evidence and altered the crime scene in an effort to hide the killing, the Daily Journal reported.