Yemeni Bodegas Plan Shutdown Across City in Protest of Trump Refugee Ban

  • Yemeni Bodegas Plan Shutdown Across City in Protest of Trump Refugee Ban

Yemeni Bodegas Plan Shutdown Across City in Protest of Trump Refugee Ban

According to a F associated with the protest, an estimated 1,000 stores are expected to close across all five NY boroughs from noon to 8 p.m. Thursday.

Protests continued Wednesday night and bodega owners threatened to close their doors in opposition to President Trump.

On Thursday, February 2, Yemeni grocery store owners across five NY boroughs will close 1,000 stores from 12pm to 8pm in response to the Trump administration's infamous "Muslim Ban" executive order.

Zaid Nagi, who owns or invests in roughly 20 grocery and cell phone stores in the Bronx, says all of his businesses will be closed from 12 p.m.to 8 p.m. Thursday.

Mr Trump's executive order barring people hailing from Yemen, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Syria for 90 days has resulted in travellers being detained or deported from the United States.

A Facebook event page set up for the strike explained: "This shutdown.will be a public show of the vital role these grocers and their families play in New York's economic and social fabric".

The bodega owners say that many of their families have been directly affected by the travel ban.

View from my office of the Yemeni Bodega Owner's Strike protesting travel ban in front of Brooklyn Borough Hall.

"They should have had a visa last week and now they are denied", Kareem said.

Almontaser told Vocativ that the idea for the bodega strike came about on Sunday, two days after Trump signed the executive order that led to chaos and protests at airports across the country.

A Muslim prayer service and rally for Yemeni Americans is also scheduled for this evening in Brooklyn. "We have to go out and let the people know that this is not acceptable", he said. Some have relatives applying for U.S. residency, whose visa applications are now on hold.