Deputy US marshal, fugitive killed in Georgia shootout

Deputy Commander Patrick Carothers, 53, was part of a team seeking to arrest Dontrell Montese Carter, who was wanted on charges including attempted murder of police officers and domestic violence stemming from a September incident in SC, the U.S. Marshals Service reported.

U.S. Marshals Service Deputy Commander Patrick Carothers, 53, was fatally shot Friday morning while attempting to serve a warrant on a fugitive in Long County, Ga., the Marshals Service has reported.

The Sumter Sheriff's Office, the Sumter Police Department and the U.S. Marshals Service continued a search for Carter since September 18, when Carter shot at deputies during a chase after the domestic incident. Carothers' team shot and killed Carter when they returned his fire, investigators said.

A 25-year-old Sumter County man wanted in connection with a shoot-out with deputies two months ago was shot and killed by law enforcement agents after he shot and killed a U.S. Marshal on Friday. The men were taken to hospitals, where they died, the Marshals Service said. "Pat is a hero and our thoughts and prayers are with his wife and five children".

U.S. Marshals Service Deputy Director David Harlow issued a statement on Carothers' death.

Carothers and his team of marshals had tracked Carter to a mobile home just outside Ludowici, about 55 miles southeast of Savannah.

Carter was involved in a domestic dispute that evolved into a shootout with officers in Sumter County, South Carolina before he escaped into a wooded area on September 18. Carter drove by the home twice, firing at least seven times at the uncle and others who were standing outside. He called Carothers a hero and described Carter as "extremely unsafe".

The suspect was killed by federal officers who returned fire.

"He stayed true to his oath to the last, laying down his life to keep his community safe and his neighbors secure", Lynch said. Upon locating Carter, he then led officers on a chase that ended with Carter exiting his auto and firing numerous shots at officers before fleeing the scene.

Carter was in a single-wide trailer near the 11800 block of Tibet Drive, according to a news release from the U.S. Marshals Office in Washington. His office declined further comment.